Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Irregular heartbeat when laying down? (Read 16150 times)
bseitz

I Love YaBB 2!

the state of worry
Irregular heartbeat when laying down?
Dec 25th, 2012, 1:41pm

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas to you all Smiley

It's been a good while since I've posted and I've been really trying to keep all the information RLR has provided to me, as well as my cardiologist, that I'm perfectly healthy and fine.  However, I wanted to ask a question primarily because my anxiety has been raised again slightly the past month or two and it helps me to get some reassurance.  Anyway, I noticed that several times recently and a few times over the past year that when I lay down in bed at night, my heart will beat irregular for a few minutes.  It will beat normal and then I'll have a few seconds or so of a very fast heartbeat and then it will calm down to normal and then speed up, etc etc until I move, sit up, cough, whatever.  Thankfully that has seemed to do the trick to stop it and reset back to normal, but my anxiety mind worries that it won't go back to normal and I'll have some awful rhythm develop and die.  It just scares me so I thought I'd post and hopefully get some feedback.  

Background for those who forget or didn't know to begin with...I've had numerous 24 hour Holter's, an event loop recorder a little over a year ago and numerous stress tests.  Most recent was this past April.  They've only ever been able to catch benign PVC's which is a very good thing!!  My cardiologist isn't the least bit concerned, but I always am.  Thanks for your help guys!!

IP Logged
bayroot

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Irregular heartbeat when laying down?
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2012, 5:34pm

bseitz wrote on Dec 25th, 2012, 1:41pm:
1) Hi everyone and Merry Christmas to you all Smiley

2) I noticed that several times recently and a few times over the past year that when I lay down in bed at night, my heart will beat irregular for a few minutes.  It will beat normal and then I'll have a few seconds or so of a very fast heartbeat and then it will calm down to normal and then speed up, etc etc until I move, sit up, cough, whatever.  Thankfully that has seemed to do the trick to stop it and reset back to normal, but my anxiety mind worries that it won't go back to normal and I'll have some awful rhythm develop and die.

3) Background for those who forget or didn't know to begin with...I've had numerous 24 hour Holter's, an event loop recorder a little over a year ago and numerous stress tests.  Most recent was this past April.  They've only ever been able to catch benign PVC's which is a very good thing!!  

4) My cardiologist isn't the least bit concerned, but I always am.  Thanks for your help guys!!

1) Hello, Merry Christmas to you too  Smiley

2) Sounds pretty normal to me. I have anxiety too. I have had this, and I've heard about 10,000 others mention these same symptoms too. And not just once, I've had this about 300 times, as I'm sure others have. Also, you say you're worried it will not go back to normal...then you state that it always does. I think that says everything.

3) Well you can't get any more comprehensive than that. You don't have any sort of disease or problem. Clearly.

4) I think this says it all.

Enjoy your holidays!  Cool

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2012, 11:06pm

Agree totally with Bayroot. Change in position has been mentioned a thousand times as a trigger for palps/feeling of wrong rythm etc.

And I guess it can have something to do with stomach contents/air "settling" in new positions. And there is this connection via the vagus nerve between the GI-tract and the heart, so it sounds logical to me.

And with your tests being all negative: Have a nice Christmas-New Year's week!

IP Logged
Rhonda
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2012, 2:23am

I have created an account solely to share what has helped me, finally! I'm 48 but had palpitations for 5 years. They began when I started working on my masters and my husband lost his job...we credited the heart changes to anxiety and stress. Reasonable. Things calmed down but the heart worsened. I have worn holters, had the usual tests and the heart has always come out great. I resorted to going to an Amish iridologist. Sounds peculiar. He told me that it was my throid and I needed to take calcium and magnesium. I let that suggestion rest for a while and in the meantime the medical doctor put me on Bystolic which lowered my already low blood pressure. He also put me on acid reflux meds. I never felt I had that issue. Then, he sent me for an additional CT of the heart... still no issues. At this point, I quit taking the meds because I continued to have the palpitations and feared all day that I was having a heart attack. I went ahead and took the Amish man's advice and within 2 days the palpitations lessened. At this point they are gone. I am able to sleep without feeling my heartbeat. I love that it beats but I don't necessarily want to be so aware of it! I realize that my body is changing right now and I acknowledge that I have to take action to find out when it's not functioning properly. If you continue to have the problem there is a root cause. In my case it was apparent diffencies. Don't be satisfied with "Oh, you'll just have to live with it like most women do." Something caused it! The greatest assurance came from a sweet cardiologist nurse who had gone through the same issue... her first comment was "I want to assure you that you're not going to die." We may not die but it sure wears you out. I hope you learn what's causing yours. I respect the medical community but I also realized they are not all-knowing. I did tell them what had helped but I did not tell them from whom I got the recommendation!  Wink

Just to clarify-an iridologist looks at the vein patterns in the eye.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2012, 8:48am

Okay, the concept of iridology is pseudoscience and not supported by sound clinical research.

While both calcium and magnesium are relevant as secondary influences upon cardiac rate and rhythm function, the supplemental ingestion has not been shown to demonstrate positive effects upon the presence of vagus nerve-induced palpitation events other than the common and temporary influence of a placebo effect.

Dietary consumption of both calcium and magnesium is most often sufficient in industrialized regions and the only instances where deficiencies may be observed is in the advanced elderly and sometimes infancy, both of which may experience poor dietary conditions.

Otherwise, the supplements have no bearing upon the presence of the type of palpitations being experienced by guests and members to the forum. It is important to realize that any subjective reasoning arising from taking the supplements and any relevant change to patterns cannot be relied upon as scientifically significant. In other words, the result is a belief rather than a statistically significant causation.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print